Monday, April 20, 2009

The details....

So alot of you have asked for the details of the birth... well not the graphic ones but the details non the less. So here is the abridged version....

On Wed. night Jeff went to the college to teach as usual. I was feeling pretty lousy to say the least. I had been having contractions on and off for about 2 weeks at this point but nothing was stable or consistent or even really slightly painful. This night I actually was feeling pretty comfortable.... but I had a terrible headache and was exhausted. I decided to take some tylenol and go to bed. Jeff luckily was smart enough to go to bed earlier than normal after he returned from the college as well.

At 2:15 I woke up suddenly and was confused because I thought I had wet the bed! I was frustrated that I was woken up by such a shock but realized when I stood up it was much more than that. I was able to run into the bathroom and stand in the tub as my water officially broke..... this was new to us since my water never broke with Hannah. We called the ob and they told us to come in. I was none to pleased since I wasn't having contractions and was pretty sure that it was going to be awhile. We called Uncle Paul to come and stay with Hannah and made it into the hospital by about 4am. When I got there I still was having no contractions and was only 1 cm!! Whoopie!! I knew then we were in for the long haul. They started the iv and told us that if contractions didn't start by 8 they would induce. Jeff and I decided to try to get some rest and sleep for a couple hours when my blood pressure suddenly plummetted to 50/32.... It took everyone by suprise and took quite sometime for it to come back up.

At 8 there was no change so they started potocin... which frankly must have been created by the devil himself! It was HORRIBLE! By 11 I did agree to an epidural and life was MUCH better. At 4:30 they checked and I was about 9cm and I sent Jeff to find the midwife at about 4:40 because I thought I needed to push. She came in rather quickly since my history with Hannah was for babies to fly out... I started pushing about 4:43 and Drew was born at 4:48!

So that's the whole story... we were able to come home Friday evening after Drew put in his 24hr mandatory stay at the hospital. We go to the peds tomorrow to have him all checked out. Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure.

No comments: