Saturday, November 28, 2009

Jesus Tree

Hannah has really started to grow in her faith in the last few months. I think she is starting to really get it.... the concept is so broad though and her little 2.5 year old mind is so fleeting that it's hard to tell. Either way she is all about some Jesus... which just makes my heart swell. She has been desiring to read her bible more and more and to pray before meals. She has been asking questions and is LOVING church! Praise God... I thought she was going to hate church forever but she FINALLY is starting to not only like it but LOVE it! (Drew of course just goes with the flow... I swear that kid is so easy to get along with!)

Anyway, this year I decided that I want to do a "Jesus Tree." Basically the idea is to create ornaments with the different names of Jesus on them. I want to do this sort of as our advent calendar in preparation for Jesus's birth. So each day while Drew naps in the mornign she and I are going to create an ornament with Jesus' name on it. I have been scowering the bible tonight looking for names of God that I felt would be simple enough for her to understand or for me to explain. I must say that it was a little more difficult than I had imagined. Don't get me wrong, I love all the names for God and have rather enjoyed my time of mediating on each in my search, but most of them seem so difficult to explain to a 2 year old. I have picked 25 that I think I can, with some divine intervention of course, explain to Hannah. I am hoping that we can make this a tradition. Now I just have to figure out how to display them and where to put a second tree!

I've listed the names I've choosen below. I am open to suggestions if you do this in your house... Please try to remember that we are doing this with a 2 year old and that I would like the scripture to back it up! Thanks for the suggestions!

Beginning and End (Rev. 22:13)
Bread of Life (John 6:35; 6:48)
Bridegroom (Mt. 9:15)
Creator (John 1:3)
Deliverer (Rom. 11:26)
Faithful Witness (Rev. 1:5)
Gate (John 10:9)
God (John 1:1; 20:28; Heb. 1:8; Rom. 9:5; 2 Pet. 1:1;1 John 5:20; etc.)
Good Shepherd (John 10:11,14)
Head of the Church (Eph. 1:22; 4:15; 5:23)
I Am (John 8:58)
Immanuel (Mt. 1:23)
Lamb of God (John 1:29)
Light of the World (John 8:12)
Lord (2 Pet. 2:20)
Master (Lk. 5:5; 8:24; 9:33)
Morning Star (Rev. 22:16)
Our Protection (2 Thess. 3:3)
Our Redemption (1 Cor. 1:30)
Rock (1 Cor. 10:4)
Savior (Eph. 5:23; Titus 1:4; 3:6; 2 Pet. 2:20)
True Vine (John 15:1)
Truth (John 1:14; 14:6)

Prince of Peace (Isaih 9:6-7)
Everlasting Father (Isaih 9:6-7)



1 comment:

Josh and Carrie Anne said...

The Lord will Provide (Jehovah-Jireh) Gen 22:14
The Lord who heals (Jehovah-Rophe) Ex 15:22-26
The Lord our peace (Jehovah-Shalom) Judges 6:24
Shepherd Psalm 23
Judge Psalm 7:8
Shield Psalm 3:3
Strength Psalm 22:19
King Psalm 5:2
Father 2 Samuel 7:14-15

Maybe some of these will work......Great idea Katie, I may follow suit!